NT Labs Pond Nitrite Test
NT Labs Pond Nitrite Test. Nitrite is produced by beneficial filtration bacteria as they break down the harmful waste ammonia excreted by the fish. Like ammonia, it is not visible to the naked eye. Although it is not as toxic as ammonia, nitrite is still very damaging to the health of the fish. Nitrite itself is broken down into nitrate, which is practically harmless to fish.
There is no occasion where any nitrite is tolerable in an pond. A level of zero mg/L (ppm) should be maintained at all times.
- Ensure the test tube is clean.
- Take a 5 ml sample of water into the test tube.
- Add 5 drops of the Nitrite reagent.
- Replace the test tube cap and shake thoroughly.
- Wait 2 minutes, then compare the colour of the sample to the colour scale provided. Zero nitrite is represented by a colourless sample. Any hint of pink in the sample indicates the presence of nitrite in the water. Any colour forming after the two minutes should be ignored.
- This test kit reports concentration in terms of nitrogen (NO2-N) to be compatible with reported safe concentrations as they apply to fish and plants. If you are interested in knowing the ionic concentration of
- the measured parameter, multiply your result by 3.29 (NO2-N).